On this page
This guide gives you information about eating disorder treatment and management plan services if you’re a:
- general practitioner (GP) or medical practitioner working in general practice
- consultant physician in psychiatry
- consultant physician in paediatrics.
Who is eligible to receive the Eating Disorder Treatment Plan?
To be eligible, your patient must be enrolled in Medicare and be diagnosed with anorexia nervosa.
Your patient may also be eligible if they meet the following criteria:
- be diagnosed with bulimia nervosa, binge-eating disorder or other feeding or eating disorder
- a score of 3 or more on the Eating Disorder Examination Questionnaire
- rapid weight loss or binge eating or inappropriate compensatory behaviour 3 or more times a week.
If your patient has not been diagnosed with anorexia nervosa they must also have at least 2 of the following indicators:
- body weight less than 85% of expected weight as a result of an eating disorder
- high risk of, or current medical complications due to eating disorder behaviours and symptoms
- serious comorbid medical or psychological conditions that significantly impact their medical or psychological health
- hospital admittance for an eating disorder in the last 12 months
- inadequate treatment response to evidence-based eating disorder treatments over the last 6 months.